Date 6, the, uhhh, shirts come off."
"Hers, too?"
"Yes."
"Go on."
"Date 7 was hands.
Wandering."
Thuy whispered leaning in
towards me. "How much?"
"Two fingers inside her.
Why are you making me say this? And her hands too, on me."
"To... completion?"
I nodded.
After a moment, Thuy said,
"Date 8?"
I smiled again for the first
time in a bit. "Date 8 was different. She told me how wonderful I am,
kissed my cheek repeatedly, said she wished things could be different... and
told me we had to stop because she had a boyfriend."
"Oh, my poor Jake."
"It wasn't that
horrible."
"What did you say?"
"One word.
'Boyfriend?'"
Thuy burst out laughing.
"I didn't know!
Honest!"
"I believe you,"
Thuy giggled. "My poor, poor Jake."
"It's not--"
"Finally get a girl you
like and you're a homewrecker."
"We weren't in love, but
I was surprised. She's the smartest person in class."
"I doubt that."
"Why?"
Thuy just rolled her eyes.
"That's as far as you've ever gone, right?"
"Yeah. You already know
the rest."
"'K."
"How about you?"
"Me?"
"Yeah, you. You made me
confess everything, so it's your turn."
"I tell you most
everything already," Thuy responded.
"Yeah, exactly, most
everything. What's the rest?"
"You're as bad as
me."
I was copying her, it was
true. So I just waited, as she had done to me.
"Ok. Jake, you really do
know most everything, but Veejay and I played together some. I'm still a
virgin, so you don't have to worry-- um, ask-- about that."
"But what have you
done?"
"Well, he really was a
very good kisser. Very good. And he liked to umm suckle or lick my
breasts."
As soon as she said this, I
felt my heart pumping faster.
"Did you? Do you like
it?"
"It was nice."
I didn't really want to know
this. "Anything else?"
"Yes, Jake." She
looked at me for a second. "He wanted me... a couple times, I, I never
talk about this stuff, so I don't know how to say. I took him in my
mouth."
I tried not to show anything.
"How was it?"
"Mixed. Very mixed
feelings. He was a good guy, Jake. A really good guy. You have to believe
me."
"I do."
"But... I... it didn't.
I felt like there should be something more happening than was."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, if you, if you
are being that intimate with someone, shouldn't I be feeling more than 'he's
nice'?"
"Probably. I kind of
felt the same with Kalia, that was her name. Well, I bet it was different, but
she was hot and I liked her, but I knew after each date that I really just
wanted to find out what this stuff was like. That was why I was going out, so
that I could experience this stuff myself."
Thuy nodded. "It was
actually my idea, not his. I wanted to see, too."
"Anything more to
report?"
Thuy smiled and shook her
heard.
"That was a weird
conversation."
Thuy nodded. "You have
no idea what colors you were turning as I talked."
"I can't help it. I
don't know why."
"Don't worry, Jake. I
was feeling the same thing. I just don't show it in my skin like you do. I
wanted to hurl this mug at someone on Date 7."
"Why did you ask?"
"I guess, I wanted to
know, kinda, but I also like that I have no secrets from you. It's
important."
"Kalia was a nice woman,
despite the fact that she was dating two people at once. And I am sure Veejay
was too."
"He wasn't a woman. I
just told you how I know for certain."
I smiled. "So you don't
have to give me the normal lecture about lowering my standards."
"Well, most of your
girlfriends of old deserved it."
"Here we go...."
"Crystal."
"Yep."
"A whole year with
Crystal. I still can't believe it. She was sooo... Her freaking name was
Crystal! You deserved so much more than her. That you wasted your time with...
agh!"
"You've never given this
up."
"Well, you keep
repeating the process. She was never good enough for you!"
"You shouldn't judge her
like that!"
"I'm not judging! I just
know you. You were never really happy; you just liked having a girlfriend. You
always settle! That's your biggest flaw. You deserved so much more!"
"Like who? Who else was
I supposed to be dating that was better?"
"See? You can't honestly
say she was the girl for you. You couldn't then and you can't now. She was just
a nice girl."
"She was my Vee-jay, I
guess."
Thuy glared at me, then said,
"Yes." Then, "At least I broke up with him. She had to dump you
because you are so damn loyal. I think you were happy to escape."
"I haven't seen Crystal
in four years. We are talking about us as juniors. Who cares anymore?"
"I just don't think
things have changed. I think you will settle again if you don't watch
yourself."
"What's wrong with
spending time with someone because she's nice?"
"Nothing! But you are
the kind of guy who will marry that nice person and then the person you've
always wanted will be gone. Out of reach forever. And it'll be your
fault."
"Who is this person?!
You seem to have someone in mind."
"I don't know, Jake. But
you have to find her somehow, some day. And you won't ever, if you give up on
her too easily."
"Show this person to me
or get off my back! I don't tell you whether or not your boyfriends are good
enough for you!"
"Why not?! Don't you
care?! Maybe I will spend my life with one of them, screwing everything up, and
you will just let it happen! Why don't you say something?!"
"Because I can't see you
with anyone, OK? Because I hate--" I paused, controlling myself. What I
had just said didn't make a lick of sense. "I want you to be happy. I have
faith that you will figure it out. You always do. I'm not the right person to
help on this. You.... Thuy, I don't know what we are fighting about."
Thuy froze and said simply,
"I don't know either. I don't know why we are fighting."
"Let's stop then."
"Yeah. I don't know why
I got angry. I like you too much. I just think it would kill me for you to not
get everything you ever wanted."
"I don't always know
what I want, to tell the truth. I wish I did. I... Sometimes, I think I know
what I want, but then the thought flies away. There's an image trying to form
of someone or something. Something obvious. It's just beyond my grasp."
Thuy actually gasped.
"That's why I broke up with Veejay. The more I was with him, the more I
kept feeling that I should be waiting for something else. That it was coming
soon, and I just had to show more patience."
"What are we waiting
for?"
She only shook her head.
"I don't know, but... but..." She looked at me and I felt my heart
pounding. The thought that I had tried to tell her about was coming into my
head again, but she said, "Shouldn't we go home?"
We each threw half the money
on the table as we had agreed to years before and headed out. She tossed me her
keys, saying, "I'm tired." I closed the door behind her and soon the
stars were flying past the window as we got out of the city, heading down 530.
I was beginning to wonder if
Thuy had fallen asleep when she asked, "Jake, why didn't we ever date? Not
once. We never even tried to see if it would work."
A million thoughts were swirling
in my head from this evening, and all I could say was, "I don't
know."
"Yes, you do. I mean--
that's not what I mean. It's just that all our lives people have wondered this.
People have wanted to fix us up a hundred times. My friends ask about you. People
at school who've never met you ask me about you. My mother asks me. Hell, your
mom has asked me." I didn't say anything and she continued, "I know
you think I look OK. If not, you fake it well. I haven't been checked out like
you did in the driveway tonight in a long time. Your eyes made my Bs feel like
DDs."
"I looked away!"
"I know. I don't know
what I wanted to kiss you more for, looking or looking away."
Kiss me?
After a pause, still curled
in the seat next to me but with her eyes open, Thuy said, "So?"
"I think that... I
didn't want to risk it." There was silence. "Having you as a friend
is too important to risk."
She took my hand and held it,
then closed her eyes again, but spoke again after a pause. "I took you for
granted, I think. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't be there,
that...."
"I will always be there,
Thuy."
She squeezed the hand she was
holding. "I'm going to be asleep soon."
"I'll carry you to your
bed."
"Your bed. I still am
afraid of being alone in the house."
"Are you sure?"
I saw a slight smile form on
her face. "Jake, you aren't going to take advantage of me. The idea's
silly."
We didn't speak the rest of
the drive home and she was soon asleep. After we got home, I did as she had bid
and carried her to my bedroom. After turning on a small light for her, I headed
for the door, but she mumbled something like, "trust you" and patted
the bed next to her.
But I knew it wasn't a real
option. Not now. Not the way I was feeling. I stood at the doorway watching her
slight movements under the sheets, her chest rise and fall gently. I would
never be able to say how she looked that night, but I have never forgotten a
detail.
I curled up on the couch in
the living room, the couch that she had laid upon for so long this afternoon,
feeling her scent, touch, and voice. After some time, I fell asleep.
--
I awoke the next morning to
some rattling in the kitchen. I opened my eyes to find a disheveled Thuy still
in her black dress with hair shooting all over the place getting a glass of
water. She stumbled half-asleep to the kitchen table where she plopped down
stony-eyed.
Wrapping my sheet around me,
since I was in boxers only, I shuffled over to get some coffee going. "Oh,
good," was all she said, and I joined her in a chair in my own sleep haze.
We sat there listening to the coffee pot. "You look hysterical," she
said in a completely flat voice. "I think squirrels played in your hair
all night and one side of your face is covered in pillow lines. You're a squirrel
wrestling zebra."
"I think some of your
hair is in Missouri."
"I'll be untangling it
for a week. My dress has more wrinkles than a pug dog's face." I poured
two cups of coffee for us and tossed her some creamer. "I think my throat
is dry from yesterday. We talked for eight hours straight by my
reckoning."
"Coffee cures scratchy
throats, I'm sure."
She giggled and continued
nursing her cup.
"Thuy, do you remember
last night much or too asleep?"
"I remember that we got
angry at each other for the first time since... the last time we talked about
Crystal."
I laughed. "Yeah. How
about after that?"
"I can't tell you what
I've forgotten."
"What's the last thing
you remember?"
"Jake, just ask
me."
"'K," I wasn't sure
I really wanted to bring it up, but it was the only thing on my mind, so it was
talk about this or don't talk. "You asked why we never dated."
"I remember that. You
told me it was because you thought I was a hideous bitch and you'd rather kiss
a snake. Then I slapped you so hard you turned off the road into an oncoming
car. We are now in heaven."
"So you remember."
She hesitated. "I
remember we came up with reasons for the past, but we never got around to the
present."
"You mean, why don't we
try dating now?"
"Yeah," Thuy's
voice was so quiet I could barely hear her. "We didn't talk about
that."
"No, we didn't." It
was too early, too early for this.
She nodded and turned back to
her coffee. I knew I should say something, but now I truly was scared. I'd
spent years telling everyone I knew that Thuy and I were just friends. I had
believed it. Had we been wrong all this time?
I loved her messed up hair
and messed up dress.
"Do you work
today?" she interrupted.
"In an hour. 12 hour
shift, so I won't get back 'til past nine."
"Hurry back, Jake,"
she said almost plaintively. She didn't need to worry about that. "I'm
going to go shower," she finished.
"You are welcome to
shower here."
"Not unless you have an
assortment of clean panties in my size lying about."
"My last girlfriend left
a lot of stuff here. I'll go take a look."
She stared at me blankly for
a second. "Last girlfriend?"
"Well, she wasn't really
a girlfriend as much as a stripper I hired at NuFeline. She mostly only wore
thongs though. Leather ones. Crotchless."
Thuy shook her head. "God,
you actually had me for a second. I am asleep. See you tonight. And what is the
point of a crotchless thong? Isn't that a belt?"
It was the longest shift of
my life.
--
I rang Thuy's doorbell in my
jeans, boots, and Jimmy's Coast-to-Coast moving shirt. A transformed Thuy in a
pair of blue shorts and white t-shirt opened the door. She wore a radiant smile
as well, making all the wait worth it. "Good timing. Pizza's on the way.
Pepperoni and sausage still the thing?"
"Yeah, I'm just a guy. I
don't change," I said, passing into her house.
"Good, 'cause half of it
is that. You know, they need to invent the boyfriend/girlfriend pizza with two
slices for me and the rest for you. I had to cancel the anchovies on my side
'cause I knew you'd eat half of mine anyway."
"It's not my fault that
I've got ten inches on you."
She stopped and gave me that
little smile. "Ten inches, huh? You don't have to make up stuff like that.
I'm sure it's plenty big."
"No, I meant--" I
looked at her impudent smile. Two could play this game. I leaned over and
knocked on the door. "Pizza delivery!"
"Ooh, come in, pizza
boy. I've been waiting for something hot for a long time now."
"Pizza man, ma'am. Pizza
man."
"I see. You certainly
look like a man to me. May I squeeze your bulg... ing bicep?"
"Certainly, ma'am. You
can put your hand on my bulge any time you like."
Thuy almost snorted and then
reached up to squeeze my arm. I did my biggest muscle man pose for her.
"Very nice, very nice."
"So, ma'am, I heard you
ordered the large sausage."
"Oh yes, I did. Actually
I asked for the extra large. I always like them as big as I can get them."
"We've heard that about
you. I had to pay a guy a hundred bucks to make this run. Where would you like
me to put the sausage, ma'am?"
"Well, pizza man, I
always put them in my mouth. What else would I do?"
I stared at Thuy who batted
her eyes at me. "OK, you win. I can't think anymore."
"Are my ten inches about
to become twelve?"
"Fourteen, ma'am. We
aren't Tri-Cities Pizza; we're Tripod Pizza."
Thuy giggled and shoved me
towards the hall. "Go shower, stud. You stink horribly."
I headed out the door.
"Don't do the pizza guy while I'm gone."
"How can I stop myself
if he looks like you?" she yelled back as I crossed the lawn. I kept
walking. Wait, had she said what I think she had? Suddenly, I heard her voice
again. "That came out wrong!" I turned to reply but saw the pizza
delivery car turning into her place.
I showered quickly and pulled
on some gray boxers, black jeans, and a light blue button-down shirt. Thuy
opened the door with pizza dangling from her mouth. I found the box open on the
coffee table in her living room where the lights were off and an old sci-fi
flick played on the TV.
"What are you
watching?" I asked grabbing a slice.
"It seems to be a Black
Lagoon rip-off. It's like Creature from the Black Lagoon, but worse."
"Black Lagoon is
horrible."
"Yes, and this is even
worse. It's amazing."
"Is that the Professor
from Gilligan's Island?"
"I think it's his
brother. He's the Professor without all the science."
The pizza was gone about the
time the second blonde was taken out by a guy in a blue frog suit who flew a
sardine can shaped spaceship. About the time Reporter Boyfriend shoved Evil
Spaceman Kermie off a cliff, Thuy curled up on the sofa with me, pulling a
blanket around us. I don't remember anything of the movie after that.
Thuy leaned into me, placing
her head on my chest. I gently wrapped my arms around her and smelled the scent
from her hair. I couldn't remember being this close to her since she broke her
foot on that hike and I held her by the road until a ranger truck came. This
was different.
"This isn't the way we
normally watch movies," I said quietly.
"I know," she
whispered back.
We sat silently some time,
trying to get used to this, trying to make the shift from friend to more. I
wanted to speak, but I couldn't think of anything to say anymore. Or, more
accurately, I could only think of one thing. My hand had fallen on her bare
knee and the only thing I wanted in the world right then was to caress that
skin. I dared not, though, for it could mean the end of this hug. The clock
ticked, as my mind went back and forth, not sure for the first time in a long
time what Thuy wanted. Finally, after she had not moved for some time, I
whispered by her ear, "Are you falling asleep?"
"I highly doubt
it," she said with a wavering voice.
"Are you OK?"
"Yes, Jake, I'm
fine."
"You're shaking."
"I know. I'm
nervous."
"Oh, I'm sorry." I
moved my hand away from her knee and started straightening up, knocking the
blanket onto the floor. But Thuy grabbed my hand and put it right back on her
bare knee.
"I'm nervous, but that
don't mean I don't like it."
I stared at my dark, working
hand on her lightly tanned skin, again frozen on my friend's body. I could feel
the warmth from her shivering skin on my fingertips. Soon, I felt her muscles
move gently as she straightened her leg a bit.
"Sorry, I needed to move
it."
"It's OK."
"My skin was
tingling."
"We're acting really silly
about this."
"I can't help it."
"No, I mean, you want my
hand on your knee and I want...."
She turned her head around
some to look up at me. "What?"
After a moment, I confessed,
"To touch you."
She turned back around and I
could feel her gaze on my hand. "Good."
There was nothing I could
think of I wanted more than to caress her, but I could feel her eyes upon me,
waiting. Eventually, I was able to make my fingers move slowly up and down in
place. I saw Thuy's leg muscles tense up and her breath catch, then they both
relaxed slowly. After a minute, she nestled further into my chest. I kissed the
top of her hair and then kissed it again. We weren't supposed to be doing this.
We were friends.
"That's nice," Thuy
said quickly.
I couldn't help but smile.
"This is so silly."
"What?"
"How freaking slow I am.
How you have to encourage me. I have been with girls before."
"Quantum Girl."
"And others..."
"But this is
different."
"Very. It's you."
"Yeah." She placed
her fingers on the back of the hand that was slowly caressing her knee, tracing
them up and down my skin. "So pretend it's not me, then."
"What?"
"Pretend it's not me and
do what you would do then."
I understood but the only
thing I could think was what I said next, "If I've got you, why would I
ever want to think of someone else?"
Hand aches, anticipate Episode 3 u shouldn't miss out at these stage...... BY GUEST PROLIFIC WRITER @UnilagAmebor
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are views of readers. Express your opinion below